By Chuks Oyema-Aziken
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has dismissed reports alleging civilian casualties following a recent military airstrike in Zamfara State, insisting that the operation specifically targeted a gathering of terrorist leaders in the North-West.
The military high command said casualty figures circulating in sections of the media were “misleading, speculative, and unverified,” maintaining that the operation was intelligence-driven and aimed at neutralising armed non-state actors threatening communities in the region.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, the Director of Defence Media Operations, Michael Onoja, said the airstrike was carried out on May 10 by troops of the Joint Task Force (North West), Operation FANSAN YAMMA, at Tumfa Village in Shinkafi Local Government Area of Zamfara State.
According to him, the location had been identified through credible multi-source intelligence as a coordination hub for planned attacks against communities across the North-West.
“The official position remains that several terrorists were neutralised, as confirmed by a Battle Damage Assessment conducted after the strike,” the statement said.
The DHQ explained that the mission was an air interdiction operation, stressing that such strikes do not permit immediate and precise casualty verification on the ground. It urged the public to exercise caution over unofficial casualty figures reported by local and international media outlets.
The military also rejected allegations of civilian casualties raised in some quarters, including by international human rights organisations, insisting that there was no credible or independently verified evidence to support claims that civilians were affected during the operation.
It maintained that the target was a confirmed terrorist structure occupied by armed non-state actors posing a direct threat to civilian populations.
“Civilians are never targets, and every operational measure is taken to prevent civilian harm,” the statement added.
The Armed Forces of Nigeria further reiterated that its operations are conducted under strict Rules of Engagement and in compliance with International Humanitarian Law, particularly the principles of distinction, proportionality and precaution.
The post DHQ fires back at civilian casualty claims over Zamfara airstrike appeared first on THE AUTHORITY NEWS.
